edoc

General practitioners' attitudes towards early diagnosis of dementia: a cross-sectional survey

Giezendanner, Stéphanie and Monsch, Andreas U. and Kressig, Reto W. and Mueller, Yolanda and Streit, Sven and Essig, Stefan and Zeller, Andreas and Bally, Klaus. (2019) General practitioners' attitudes towards early diagnosis of dementia: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Family Practice, 20 (1). p. 65.

Full text not available from this repository.

Official URL: https://edoc.unibas.ch/79872/

Downloads: Statistics Overview

Abstract

Dementia is often underdiagnosed in general practice, which may be based on general practitioners' (GPs') knowledge and emotional factors as well as external problems. This study aimed to describe GPs' attitudes toward early diagnosis of dementia.; Cross-sectional postal survey in Switzerland in 2017. Members of the Swiss Association of General Practitioners (N = 4460) were asked to participate in the survey. The questionnaire assessed attitudes, enablers and barriers to early dementia diagnosis and post-diagnostic intervention strategies. Exploratory factor analysis and linear regression were used.; The survey response rate was 21%. 85% of GPs agreed with enablers of early dementia recognition (e.g. "Plan for the future, organize support and care", "Minimize the strain and insecurity of patients and their informal family caregivers"). On the other hand, 15% of respondents perceived barriers towards early dementia recognition (e.g. "Time constraints in carrying out the necessary procedures to diagnose dementia"). GPs who were more likely to agree with barriers would less often counsel family members (β = - 0.05, 95% CI = - 0.09 - -0.02) or test fitness to drive (β = - 0.05, 95% CI = - 0.09 - -0.02), and more often choose a watchful waiting strategy (β = 0.05, 95% CI = 0.02-0.09).; The attitude of the majority of GPs is not characterized by diagnostic and therapeutic nihilism. However, negative attitudes were associated with sub-optimal management after the diagnosis. Thus, health systems are required to critically examine the use of available resources allowing GPs to look after patients and their relatives in a holistic way.
Faculties and Departments:03 Faculty of Medicine > Bereich Medizinische Fächer (Klinik) > Geriatrie > Geriatrie (Kressig)
03 Faculty of Medicine > Departement Klinische Forschung > Bereich Medizinische Fächer (Klinik) > Geriatrie > Geriatrie (Kressig)
07 Faculty of Psychology > Departement Psychologie
07 Faculty of Psychology > Departement Psychologie > Forschungsbereich Klinische Psychologie und Neurowissenschaften > Molecular Psychology (Papassotiropoulos)
UniBasel Contributors:Monsch, Andreas U. U
Item Type:Article, refereed
Article Subtype:Research Article
Publisher:BioMed Central
e-ISSN:1471-2296
Note:Publication type according to Uni Basel Research Database: Journal article
Related URLs:
Identification Number:
Last Modified:05 Jan 2021 11:47
Deposited On:21 Dec 2020 09:56

Repository Staff Only: item control page