Prevalence of Potential Drug-Drug Interactions in Patients of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study in the Era of HIV Integrase Inhibitors

Deutschmann, Elisabeth and Bucher, Heiner C. and Jaeckel, Steffen and Gibbons, Sara and McAllister, Katie and Scherrer, Alexandra U. and Braun, Dominique L. and Cavassini, Matthias and Hachfeld, Anna and Calmy, Alexandra and Battegay, Manuel and Cipriani, Michela and Elzi, Luigia and Young, James and Lopez-Centeno, Beatriz and Berenguer, Juan and Khoo, Saye and Moffa, Giusi and Marzolini, Catia and Swiss HIV Cohort Study, . (2021) Prevalence of Potential Drug-Drug Interactions in Patients of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study in the Era of HIV Integrase Inhibitors. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 73 (7). e2145–e2152.

Full text not available from this repository.

Official URL: https://edoc.unibas.ch/81026/

Downloads: Statistics Overview


Prevalence of potential drug–drug interactions (PDDIs) between antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) and co-medications was high in 2008 in a Swiss HIV Cohort Study (SHCS) survey. We reassessed the prevalence of PDDIs in the era of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) integrase inhibitors (INIs), characterized by more favorable interaction profiles.
The prevalence of PDDIs in treated HIV-positive individuals was assessed for the period 01–12/2018 by linkage of the Liverpool HIV drug interactions and SHCS databases. PDDIs were categorized as harmful (red flagged), of potential clinical relevance (amber flagged), or of weak clinical significance (yellow flagged).
In 9298 included individuals, median age was 51 years (IQR, 43–58), and 72% were males. Individuals received unboosted INIs (40%), boosted ARVs (30%), and nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTIs) (32%)–based regimens. In the entire cohort, 68% received ≥1 co-medication, 14% had polypharmacy (≥5 co-medications) and 29% had ≥1 PDDI. Among individuals with co-medication, the prevalence of combined amber and yellow PDDIs was 43% (33% amber—mostly with cardiovascular drugs—and 20% yellow-flagged PDDIs) compared to 59% in 2008. Two percent had red-flagged PDDIs (mostly with corticosteroids), the same as in the 2008 survey. Compared with 2008, fewer individuals received boosted ARVs (−24%) and NNRTIs (−13%) but the use of co-medications was higher. Prevalence of PDDIs was lower with more widespread use of INIs in 2018 than in 2008. Continued use of boosted regimens and increasing needs for co-medications in this aging population impeded lower rates of PDDIs.
Faculties and Departments:05 Faculty of Science > Departement Mathematik und Informatik > Mathematik > Statistik (Moffa)
03 Faculty of Medicine > Bereich Medizinische Fächer (Klinik) > Infektiologie > Infektiologie (Battegay M)
03 Faculty of Medicine > Departement Klinische Forschung > Bereich Medizinische Fächer (Klinik) > Infektiologie > Infektiologie (Battegay M)
UniBasel Contributors:Moffa, Giusi and Marzolini, Catia
Item Type:Article, refereed
Article Subtype:Research Article
Publisher:Oxford University Press
Note:Publication type according to Uni Basel Research Database: Journal article
Identification Number:
Last Modified:19 Oct 2021 09:14
Deposited On:09 Jun 2021 15:31

Repository Staff Only: item control page